Commitments

All year round, we aim to protect the beach environment as the natural resource that it is (in collaboration with other public and private bodies), to encourage the public to use and enjoy it and to prevent damaging, inconvenient and antisocial behaviour. In order to foster responsible use of the beach and encourage its enjoyment among the public, particularly during bathing season, we pledge to:

  • Provide general information on the municipality and the beach, particularly at the Public Assistance Office, at the Tourist Offices, on information panels at the beach, through the local radio station, in the Castell magazine and on the Platges website.
  • Authorise, organise, support and encourage cultural, leisure, sports and environmental awareness-raising activities.
  • Grant operating licences for different types of beach snack bars.
  • Provide surveillance, inspection and rescue services at the beach.
  • Provide cleaning, maintenance and waste collection services at the beach.
  • Maintain and promote areas for sports and children on the sand.
  • Maintain and improve all equipment and facilities (showers, accesses, fountains, accessible elements, etc.).
  • Maintain the standards of quality required to renew the quality certifications and awards received.

How do we quantify our commitments?

2018 INDICATOR RESULTS

  • Satisfaction index of users surveyed: Water quality, sand cleaning, access points, equipment, police and rescue/lifeguard services were rated positively by 94% of users (1271 people were surveyed).
  • Water sanitation rating (mid-season): from 32 samples taken at 4 different points, the water quality was Excellent for 85% of the samples and Good for the remaining 15%.
  • Number of complaints and suggestions from beach users: 187 entries.
  • Number of interventions carried out by rescue and lifeguard services: 1614 interventions.
  • Number of interventions by the local police service: 502 interventions.
  • Manual cleaning and litter bin collection: 127,377 Kg
  • Mechanical cleaning: 357,657 Kg

Improvement goals:

GOALS FOR 2019 SEASON

  1. Efficient consumption: separate irrigation and shower water meters (La Pineda).
  2. Establish a procedure to define the process for voluntary action and activities at our beach.
  3. Work on environmental aspects by expanding the activities of the Cal Ganxo environmental centre at the beach and implementing internal initiatives aimed at municipal staff.
  4. Checking and updating signage on the beach.
  5. Purchase of standard and accessible toilet modules to finish the accessible area at Carrer Mèxic.
  6. Adaptation of beach volleyball and paddle courts and consolidation into one area.
  7. Actions to be developed as part of the Intelligent Tourist Destinations project.
  8. Establish a procedure for sports activities on the beach.

GOALS FOR 2018 SEASON

Five beach management quality and improvement goals were set for the 2018 season:

  1. Simplification of the Quality System and beginning of compliance with the UNE-ISO 9001:2015 standard.
  2. Efficient consumption: separation of irrigation and shower water meters (La Pineda). Ongoing in 2019.
  3. Establish a procedure to define the process for voluntary action and activities at our beach. Ongoing in 2019.
  4. Expand the participation of organisations involved in the Platges project.
  5. Work on environmental aspects by expanding the activities of the Cal Ganxo environmental centre at the beach and implementing internal initiatives aimed at municipal staff. Ongoing in 2019.